Sunday, November 15, 2009

Born Free

Whenever I take Lakota hiking, I usually let her off leash. I know that is controversial. I know that is against the rules in most places. And I know that some people would be extremely vexed with me for breaking such rules because it creates problems that could lead to dogs being banned from such places altogether.

Now in my defense, I do my best to keep her under my control (I say 'do my best' because what happens when she sees a squirrel, no one can control). I do try to avoid taking her on busy trails on the weekend where we are more likely to encounter lots of people and lots of other dogs. I also try to remain viligant and aware of other users on the trail, calling her back and placing her on a leash when other hikers, runners or bikers appear on the trail.

After the other person passes, if the coast is clear, I will let her off the leash. She is just so happy to run free. She always has to lead on the trail; it's her work. It seems to me that she considers it her 'job' to scout the trail ahead, make the way safe, and to show me where we are going. If she stops to sniff at something and I pass her, she will bolt past me to take the lead again. On some really narrow trails, she has nearly taken me out at the knees trying to bolt past me.

The other day we went for a walk on the Hurley-Marbletown Rail Trail. Since it was a weekday, we didn't run into too many people. When we did come across someone of course, I called her back and put her on leash until we were alone again. At one point, a man on a bike did come up behind me before I had a chance to place her on leash. I was able to grab her collar though. At first I was nervous about the fact that it had happened so quickly and I was not quite prepared. The guy on the bike didn't seem to mind though, in fact, as he passed he made a comment that she looked so happy running free. I have to say, his comment really warmed my heart. In that moment, I was so grateful that someone else saw the beauty and happiness in my dog as she ran free through woods, a smile on her face as the wind whistled in her ears.

I wish more dogs could have this experience. I like to think that Lakota feels pretty lucky to have come live with us, but that is probably just anthromophoristic on my part. The truth is that its probably what I need to think, to believe in, for what reason, I do not yet know. What I do know though, is that when she's happy I'm happy. So I'll let her run free because it makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment